7.09.2010

Made in the South

I've gotta say, I think the South is experiencing a major renaissance of coolness, and it's not just because I'm on sweet on my hometown of Atlanta, Jawjuh.  I don't know how else to put it, but everywhere I look, I feel like I read about cool stores, companies, restaurants, hotels, you name it, cropping up in the South. 


Not that there hasn't always been cool stuff in the South, but I feel like lately, with the help of publications like Garden & Gun, there's more awareness and support being drawn to these companies, and it's helping re-brand the South as a place for artisinal food and quality craftsmanship, not to mention cool design, and not just sleepy provincial towns with lots of heat and humidity.

This year, Garden & Gun, a magazine focused on all things Southern (don't be put off by the name, just check it out), is having a contest to find the best things made in the South, from the expected cheese straws, barbecue sauce, and fly rods to the less expected selvedge denim, duffle bags, watches, farm tables, pottery, and more.


I can't wait for the results!  Will be sure to share them here.


Also, I'm just going to throw this out there, has anyone else noticed how many of the well-known design bloggers are from the South??  It seems like a disproportionate percentage! 


Awards website here.
Garden & Gun main here.
[Design*Sponge]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails