8.23.2010

SpY


LOVE the public art by Spanish artist SpY.


Here's an excerpt of a review of his work:
His work involves the appropiation urban elements through transformation or replication, commentary on urban reality, and the interference in its communicative codes. The bulk of his production stems from the observation of the city and an appreciation of its components, not as inert elements but as a palette of materials overflowing with possibilities. His ludic spirit, careful attention to the context of each piece, and a not invasive, constructive attitude, unmistakably characterize his interventions.


...SpY’s pieces want to be a parenthesis in the automated inertia of the urbanite. They are pinches of intention, hidden in a corner for those who want to let themselves be surprised. Filled with equal parts of irony and positive humor, they appear to raise a smile, incite reflection, and to favor an enlightened conscience.

(Based on the typical bike rack found in Madrid.)














A statement from SpY on his website about taking this photo...
 I was taking the pictures of this sign, placed in a very busy street in Madrid city center, when a policeman approached and said: "Did you put it there last night?" I said no, I'm a photographer taking pictures of the city. He insisted: "are you taking pictures of the flower?" I said yes, I've seen it and found it funny. Then the cop says: "I think I know your face, maybe we know each other?" I then thought: fuck, this cop knows me and has figured all out. Y said no, I don't seem to remember you. His face was partly hidden with a hat and a scarf. He went again: "I'm sure to remember you, didn't you hang out with Suso? I think we know each other from graffiti." Already more relaxed, I asked him what neighbourhood he was from. He was a member of Los Trece, a well-known graffiti crew from Móstoles. I recognized him and said that his looks had gotten me nervous. He laughed and said: "I saw it this morning, I thought it was probably put there last night, it's pretty cool, I hope it stays long." I then kept on with the pictures. When seeing me precariously try to do it from the middle of the street, he said: "Do you want me to stop the traffic so you can take the picture better?" I said, well, if you don't mind... He then walked to the middle of the street and started stopping the traffic. I quickly took the pictures, thanked him and said goodbye, he said goodbye and I left.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails