11.05.2010

Must See >> Les Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain

I've mentioned Amelie a few times before (it's my favorite movie), but I just discovered the opening sequence on youtube, and the opening is one of my favorite parts.


(It seems the video above isn't working, but you can watch here.)

In just the first ten minutes, there are so many things I love, and revel in re-experiencing every time I watch the movie, that I could probably write a whole essay just on this small part.  I bore people to death when I get them to watch it with me because I keep interrupting and saying, "Oooh, don't you love how ____," and pointing out every little thing I hope they're noticing, and not just noticing, but gleaning as much enjoyment from it as I am.

So here, I will restrain myself, and spare you, by putting all the things I hope you're noticing after the jump, providing you the option of reading it or skipping it.  Considerate, no?

In no particular order...

+The narration.  I just love third-person narration in a film and the story-telling feeling it provides.  Think about these particularly heart-wrenching films-- The Fall, The Notebook, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Princess Bride-- they all employ a narrator.  Interesting, huh?  I love it.


+The extremely literal and highly specific descriptions of the parents via their likes and dislikes.  I love this method of description because although the likes and dislikes are not highly personal information, as in, not emotional or secret, they are highly personal in that you could be very close to someone and still not necessarily know these things about them.  Doesn't it make you wonder if you could name such things for those closest to you?

+And don't you love when you find out the parents' overlapping beloved activity?  It's like you're seeing a Venn diagram of the parents, and they have one overlapping favorite thing, and takes on some small, happy significance.


+The tiny moments of pure, unpolluted childhood joys enacted by Amelie in the opening credits.  The feeling of peeling glue of your fingers comes back in an instant, no?  Next time you babysit your favorite little kid, you can think of this sequence and remember that you don't necessarily have to come up with a whole elaborate plan for what to do together.  They'll be happy just peeling glue off their skin and making paper chains.


+The coexistence of extreme innocence and calculated vindictiveness in Amelie's character revealed through her reaction to her neighbor's trick, and the ability of broken trust to bring out the latter so shortly after the former.

Ok stopping, I'm sure you'll discover many more tiny things to appreciate...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails