7.29.2009

Kingdom America


I just bought this lamp off Etsy, and I'm loving that it has the blue and white porcelain look, but with an off-beat assymetrical design and the sort of random "America." I suppose I say random because there is a crown in the design, and America is fundamentally non-monarchal? Also I don't see too many decorative art pieces, non-kitschy ones at least, with "America" emblazoned on them. And I think it's funny that America is written in such a sober font! The font does nothing to evoke sing-songy patriotism.

Although it will be going in my much more humble dwellings, I could also see it in either of these two beautiful rooms...

This traditional foyer, both elegant and immensely welcoming, by my illustrious former boss Miles Redd, where real blue and white porcelain would not be out of place, and the oddity of this design might add a touch of whimsy...



Or this cheery and comfortable living room where a touch of blue would be a nice contrast, and the vintage-y feel would be right in sync with the suzani on the sofa. Sadly I don't know who this one is by...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails